This article relates to Transactor 6
Please hand this technical sheet to your IT support technician or supplier who is installing your network. For more information contact the Transactor help desk.
- Server: Windows XP Professional or Windows Server 2000/2003 (not greater)
- Client PCs: Windows XP Professional (32-bit) or 32-bit virtual machine
- Server and clients must be configured with Opportunistic Locking turned off (see below)
- Server: Windows Server 2000/2003 (not greater) with Terminal Services/Remote Access and Opportunistic Locking turned off.
- Client PCs: Any PCs can be used as a client as long as they are 32-bit Windows, or using a 32-bit virtual machine
- Install Transactor on each PC on your network (trial download or full version)
- On your designated 'main' server PC: Share the c:\Tran61 folder, and set permissions to 'Full Control'.
- Map this shared folder to a spare drive letter, in this example we will use 'Y'.
- Set the Transactor v6.1 shortcut on the desktop and in the Transactor v61 program group to use Y:\lab\exe (by updating the shortcut properties). Also do this for the Maintenance Menu shortcut.
- In the Maintenance Menu, click 'Set Database Location', set location to Y:\lab\live\data, then close.
- On each client PC: Map the shared networked Transactor folder (located on the server PC) to 'Y'.
- Set the properties of the Transactor v6.1 shortcut on the PC desktop as follows: TARGET: "Y:\LAB\EXE\TRAN.EXE LIVE", RUN IN: "Y:\LAB\EXE".
- Locate and delete any existing local c:\Tran61 folders and any Transactor shortcuts. Ensure you keep the main Transactor shortcut on the desktop.
- On all PCs set up Transactor usernames and passwords in the Transactor Setup Wizard.
- Finally, contact the Transactor Helpdesk to say your network is ready and request a Go-Live check.
- Turn off opportunistic locking on the 'main' server PC and all clients (unless using the Terminal Services method). This is done with two entries in the Windows Registry. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q296264/
If these keys do not exist you will need to create them, including the Parameters folders if they do not exist.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MRXSmb\Parameters\OplocksDisabled REG_DWORD (Set this to 1)HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\EnableOplocks REG_DWORD (Set this to 0)
- All the Transactor icons on all PCs, including the Server, must have identical "Target" and "Run In" parameters. This means even the Server must be mapped to the same network drive. If this is not done then the DB will fall over. The shared folder would be located on the server in C:\tran61, and shared with full permissions.
eg. All shortcut Targets will be: "Y:\lab\exe\tran61.exe LIVE", and Run In will be: "Y:\lab\exe"
- The same change should be made to all Transactor shortcuts, including the shortcuts on the Server's desktop and in the Start Menu/Program Files/Transactor 61 folder. Local installations (apart from the one reconfigured desktop icon) on client PCs should be deleted to avoid potential problems when the network is down.
- On all 'client' PCs, in Transactor, untick the check box 'This is the Data Backup PC' (Tools/Setup Wizard/Data Backups page). This will stop client PC users from being inappropriately asked if they want a backup on exit.